How to Measure Blinds for Order. DIY
Blind Measuring Instructions
You will need a metal tape measure cloth tapes are not accurate enough and a pen and paper to write down the sizes. You can measure your window in centimetres CM, millimetres MM, or Inches. If you want your blind to fit or hang outside your window opening or recess we call this Exact size.
How to measure inside your window recess. (Recess Size)
- Measure the inside width of your window in 3 places.Write down the shortest. This is your Recess width.
- Measure the inside length or drop of your window in 3 places. Write down the shortest. This is your Recess drop. We will reduce your recess sizes to ensure the blind fits within the opening.
The manufacturing tolerances we deduct are as follows:
- Aluminium Venetian 15MM and 25MM —> 13MM off width and 6MM off drop.
- Aluminium Venetian 35MM and 50MM —> 13MM off width and 12MM off drop.
- Wooden Venetian 25MM/35MM/50MM and 63MM —> 13MM off width and 12MM off drop.
- Vertical blinds —> 6MM off width and 13MM off drop.
- Roller blinds —> 4MM taken off wall to bracket (exact) width. Overall from wall to cloth there is a total gap of 34MM.
- Panel blinds —> 10MM off width and 15MM off drop.
- Roman blinds —> 10mm off width.
How to measure outside your window recess. (Exact Size)
- Measure width where you want the blind to be allowing for overlap (usually 10-15cm each side) Write it down. This is your Exact width.
- Measure the length where you want the blind to be allowing for overlap (usually 10-15cm top and bottom). This is your Exact drop. We will make your blind to these exact overall dimensions and make no allowances.
Note on measuring for roller blinds.
When measuring for roller blinds remember that the cloth or fabric width will be 3cm narrower than the overall exact blind width. There is an option to order your roller blind cloth width, but remember the overall width including the brackets will be 3cm wider.
Note on measuring vertical slats only.
Please make sure that the drop for slats only is the fabric only (hem to hem) drop. In order to measure accurately please take a slat off the current blind you have, and measure from one fabric end to another. The slats will be made to that finished size.
Of coarse, at Great Blinds we would be happy to have one of our trained technicians come out and measure up for you. Sometime the peace of mind a professional will bring you is quite worth it!